What kind of meat bird

gentlemanfarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Northwestern PA
I am going to order a dozen of Golden Comets for laying hens. I want to order a couple dozen of meat birds. I thought I had made up my mine until I read the coments here about cornish X. What other dual purpose chicken would you guys do?

get a x bred, but dont get the fastest growing one get a slower growing breed, if they have jumbo cornish rocks get the cornish roaster where are your ordering from?

Whats wrong with the Jumbo Cornish X rocks, that you have been hearing? I'm interested as I was considering ordering some from a hatchery later this spring. Thanks

vortec

Don't be nervous, they are easy to raise and I think you will be disappointed in the dual purpose. Not much meat, and way too much money to feed them.

Go with the Cornish Rocks.

I know some people don't like the CornishX, for some valid reasons, but the fact remains they will give you more meat faster for cheaper, and a more grocery-store-like product if that's what you're looking for, than anything else. And because they get BIGGER than most anything else, you won't have to kill as many of them to get X lbs of meat.

Why not try a small lot of them and see what you think, then make up your own mind. They do have the advantage of being readily available at a feedstore (just get whatever they have, tho if you have a choice between regular and 'slow' you might pick the slow), unlike Colored Rangers etc.

JMO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

jumbos work but i like the slower growing, there are less leg problems, and i find it worth, i agree not to get a dual pourpose, they are costly and have no meat.

OK thanks guys. I will order a small lot of them to start. All the posts about all the poop they made scared me. I don't mind the work, just thought I may be over my head, but then, I use to raise beef cattle, so what is a little poop. I will look forward to the poop through. It will be a great for the compost pile and later for the organic garden.

Quote:
It's not bad at all, especially if you keep them in a tractor that you move every day. My tractor goes all over my yard, including next to my house, and I've never smelled it unless I was right next to it- not a single time. The key is moving it as much as practical.

Back
Top Bottom