What kind of mites are these?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by racuda, Jul 23, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Most of my 9 week old Silkie chicks have these. What is the best treatment? I have Sevin, Frontline spray and Ivermectin pour on.

[​IMG]

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:You also have an AWESOME camera to take this picture! When I had an infestation of those critters, everyone got a dusting in Sevin. I found the best way was [its sorta crude but worked the best] layed birdie on the ground [back or tummy first] hold by the feet and sprinkle on neck to toe / flip birdie over and sprinkle again pat the dust around , believe me they will help and VOILA ready for the grill....[​IMG] OOPS I mean good to go......but it does feel like that.[​IMG] I also use the monthly dog spot on stuff. Working good so far....I hope that helps.[​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Those are lice. I use Absorbine Ultrashield for these little buggars. It comes in a black bottle and can be found in the horse section of your local feed store.

ETA, The ultrashield has a 10 day active period, so any new lice that hatch that were in eggs on the bird will die too.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Oh my! I hope someone can help you asap! I'm going to check in so I could learn how to deal with this too good luck! [​IMG]

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Good luck op..great thread!

6. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Use a Vodka rub and follow with a little Sand! The little beggars get drunk and stone each other to death![​IMG]

Actually I check my birds an a daily basis, so by weeks end I have sampled all the tractors and pens. I have never had this problem, but came upon mites once. In that case I dunked the birds in bleach/soap water and applied a sevin garden dust. For a few days, i put out a sand box with sevin dust in it, and removed it later. The problem just vanished as fast as it appeared.

7. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Use a Vodka rub and follow with a little Sand! The little beggars get drunk and stone each other to death![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Actually I check my birds an a daily basis, so by weeks end I have sampled all the tractors and pens. I have never had this problem, but came upon mites once. In that case I dunked the birds in bleach/soap water and applied a sevin garden dust. For a few days, i put out a sand box with sevin dust in it, and removed it later. The problem just vanished as fast as it appeared.[/quote

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by