what kind of mutt will it be?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by curliet, Jan 12, 2009.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Hope this is the right place for this post. And, I'm sure the question has probably been answered before, but I'm not sure how to search for this one. Anyway, we have 15 RIR, 2 BR. We have one rooster, a BO. We are hoping to try to hatch some eggs this spring, but are wondering what kind of chickens they will be with that kind of parentage. What will they look like?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    [​IMG]
    Big Bird
    Sorry about the page, not great at photo handling!

This was my rooster who apparently was a barred rock crossed with a buff orpington. (If anyone thinks differently, let me know). He was a great rooster and I really miss him. I think your crosses would be really nice chickens!

3. curliet

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Wow, he's really pretty! I wouldn't mind at all if we had some chickens that turned out like him.
    Now, the next part of my question. My hens are stealth chickens. I have 9 of them including the 2 BRs, here at my home, living in a coop in the garage. My other hens, and the rooster are staying with friends in the country. So my best bet for getting hatching eggs is to get some of the eggs from the farm. Or, taking a chance on bringing my roo home for a few days. If I were to bring him here for two days, would that be long enough for him to do his thing with the girls here, and if so, how long would the eggs they lay stay fertile. (I would be really taking some severe chances to keep him here longer than that, the people around me would figure out where all the noise is coming from by then.)
    I feel so goofy asking these questions, ya know what I mean?

4. curliet

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Was it something I said?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by