What kind of old English is this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brodydwhite, Apr 25, 2017.

1. brodydwhite

brodydwhite Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    I have bb reds and the hen looks like a bb red and the rooster does for the most part but on the first hatch there where 4 normal looking bb red chicks and 2 black one and I kept the black one and the same chicken hatched out again this year and 4 where black and 3 where normal so what is going on.[​IMG]The one on the left is the black one grown.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I'd love some closer pictures if you have any, from the distance looks kind of like (from left to right) a BBR, a GingerRed and a BBR rooster?

3. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    [​IMG] what does this rooster look like. And I'll send another pic in little while of the other I have questions about

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Black Tailed Red.

5. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    Thanks I was told bb red but when I got the first hatch I had 2 black chicks with 4 regular game chicks and this previous Tim I got 4 blacks and 3 game chicks [​IMG]what about the black hen

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The dark hen could be Brown Red, which would explain the black chicks. Brown Red is birchen based, producing black downed chicks.

7. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    Anybody?

8. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    The black hen was hatched off that rooster and this hen so what you think? I've been wondering for long time. And can't figure out The pic of the momma of black hen ain't workin but she looks just like a normal bb red hen

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I can tell you this much, the rooster is not BBR. BBR stands for Black Breasted Red, meaning the breast of the rooster is black. No black breast means he can not be BBR.

10. brodydwhite

Jun 12, 2016
    Yea I was thinking that he might be a young brown red cause his neck is bright like a brown red and that would and explain the half black half red hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by