What kind of owl is this? *photo*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ll, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Seemed to be almost 12" tall and this photo does not show the long tufted "ears" on top of the head
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

After looking at those pics, it may be an Eastern Screech, as suggested, or could it be a long-eared owl? Can't see the ears in this pic.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I edited mine above due to the 'ears'.

5. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much for the posts - and the posted link too, it started my search [​IMG]
    I wish I could have gotten a better head shot/photo including the ear tufts, but the leaves were in the way at every angle.

I think it is indeed a Long Eared Owl ... I feel so lucky to have seen this bird hanging out in my yard today, it stayed all day until dark! It was very small, surely hunting field mice and/or chipmunks ~ not my 2 orpington pullets.
    Maybe the one in our yard shown above was a youngin'?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Beekissed

Wow, that's pretty!!! [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Owls are such beautiful creatures. I went into our barn one night and a tiny screech owl flew out past me. I told my son that I saw a mouse trap in the barn but it flew away. It took him a while to figure that one out. Of course my dad said I should have gotten a gun (not like it would have been anywhere I'd have seen it at that point), but I doubt an owl smaller than my chickens could do any damage [​IMG]

Yours was probably just doing damage control [​IMG]

The owl in your pic could be young or could be molting, he surely looks scraggly!

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Looks like a juvenile screech owl. Owls are awesome birds, so gorgeous.

9. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    I don't know what kind it is, but here in Colorado we have great horned owls... they're positively enormous. Wing span is incredible. If ever my chickens were attacked, they'd surely be dead. But with that said, and please dont think me odd when I say this... but I have a history with owls. It sounds very strange and very well could be a coincidence but whenever a life-changing event is about to happen to me, I see a multitude of owls!!!! Example, we were told by doctors we'd never have a child. Then one week, many months later while living on the top floor in an apartment, owls visited our deck every night and hooted endlessly! Found out a week later we were expecting. Another time we had a pair of great horns sitting outside our bedroom on the railing, again, hooting to their hearts content. I find out a few days later I got a position I was applying for and wanted badly! Many more examples...but I'll end it there. So whenever an owl shows up around here now, I cant help but to wonder what's coming up next!

I welcome the owls, though... nothing beats my 2 year old daughter hooting at them with them hooting in reply. Cutest...thing...ever.

10. Beekissed

That's a wonderful story! Any American Indian blood in your line? [​IMG] Could be that owls are your totem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by