What kind of Paint?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by scrambledmess, May 13, 2009.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I am still nervous that our coop is made from cedar. Someone suggested painting the inside not only to cover the smell but to also help in the ease of cleaning. What kind of paint should we use? Walmart had a bunch of pints on clearance today. I would love to go buy one and line the inside. TIA

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Cedar is fine to build with, assuming it is normal structural cedar and you have enough ventilation to prevent the place smelling like a cedar-closet.

If you want to paint for other reasons, though (like easier poo removal - and yes, poo *will* get onto the floor under the bedding, and onto the walls) any kind of paint is perfectly fine as long as it is fully dry (no fumes left) and not peeling. So, prime first (this is not optional) and put on a couple thin coats, not thick ones that will quickly get peely. And there ya go.

Have fun,

Pat

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Quote:Semi-gloss. Cleans well. Can be usually had for cheap in the mistint sections of our H.D. and Lowes.

4. davidr

davidr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Mokena, IL
    I use an oil based primer and a latex top coat.

David

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I'll add my two cents in... Use exterior grade paint. It holds up way better.

6. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Thanks everyone! I am heading back today to get some paint. I think they had the exterior on clearance. But I have taken notes and will be shopping [​IMG]

7. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    The oil will work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by