What kind of predator attacks during the day?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickathon, Mar 8, 2012.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have lost two of my beautiful mixed breed bantams. All that is left behind are a handful of feathers. The attacks are accuring during the day around noon to 3pm. They are kept in their coop at night. My chickens are making no alarm noises. Just the usual clucks when one of our cats runs by them. That's normal. Not the O MY GOODNES SOMETHING'S GOING TO GET ME!!!! sounds. Believe me I have a roo that could split your ear drums with his. They were my lightest hens. Kind of a ghostly blue/gray color, my most beautiful by the way. They were barely a pound apiece. I have lost no more for a while. Could it possibly be a hawk? What could catch a chicken so quickly and make so little noise? Sorry no pics I hadn't had them long enough to get any.[​IMG]

2. Andrewdp123

Andrewdp123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    A hawk came and ate one of my bantams...Nothing you can really do about it either since they're a protected species.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    When you say a "handful" of feathers left behind- do you mean just a few scattered feathers or tons of them? A few scattered feathers could be the work of a snatch and grab predator like a fox, coyote, bobcat. Bunches of feathers usually means a hawk did the deed. Any one of those will predators will hunt during the day, although foxes are least likely to be out and about in the middle of the day.

4. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    They were spread out in a circular pattern. When gathered up they made a handful.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Circular pattern is indicative of the feather explosion you would see from a raptor strike.

6. wvtim

wvtim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    The hawks are extremely active right now. I had two red tails stalking my chickens today.

7. Greg in Carpinteria

Greg in Carpinteria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    What you describe is exactly what I find after a bobcat gets one of my birds, and it generally occurs mid to late afternoon. I saw one take out a very big BCM roo I had, there was an explosion of feathers as it hit the bird, one little squawk and it was all over. The cat couldn't have been more than 5 pounds heavier than the roo, and it carried it off effortlessly, the whole process seemed pretty effortless for the cat. They are very efficient predators and electronet has been the only thing that works for me. I've removed cats in the past and a new one always shows up within a couple of weeks.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

X 2 but realistically it could be any of several predators., Many mammals if hungry enough or if the opportunity presents will hunt during the day.

9. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Yesterday I had a hawk stalking my ladies also. Its the first time in 3 years I have seen one come back. Normally they just fly over or will come by one more time for a peak.
    The ladies were free ranging in the yard and I saw the bird come up over the hill. I scrambled up out of the recliner and let the rottwieler loose. Once she got out close to the ladies they all came out of hiding and stuck within a few feet of her. She was searching for squirrels and the chickens were sticky with safety. It was quite kewl to watch. Later in the day I had to do it again, and that time I sent a cocker spaniel out also......... the ladies were seperated on two sides of the yard. That way, each group had a dog. Once the dogs decided they were done guarding. I put the ladies up. They had been out for 4 or 5 hours. Talk about spoiled. They even have their OWN pack of dogs. LOLOLOL

10. Cheyenne2929

Cheyenne2929 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    That is awesome that your dogs played guard dog for your chickens! I have two cockers as well and think they will enjoy being around the chickens. At least the one will, she has a huge mothering instinct and will mother just about anything. I love my cockers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by