What kind of predator do I have?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Scraps, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    My guinea was missing this morning. Right out in the middle of the yard I found a small
    pile of feathers, a bright red neck and the intestines. What the heck eats everything but
    leaves a neck and sparkley white intestines? No mess, no blood, no footprints. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Needless to say, the trap is set so hopefully I'll know the answer in the morning.

2. hellafarms

hellafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW! If you catch it let us know what it was.

3. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Oh I'm SO sorry to hear this!

The truth is that there are all kinds of predators that your description would fit... It's probably not a youngster, because a more schooled predator will rarely eat the intestines - they know there are bacteria there that are tough to digest... My guess is that it is a raptor because a coyote or raccoon or fox or opossum would carry and stash... but it's just a guess.

4. Scraps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    Thanks for your thoughts on it. I've lost a few birds over the last couple
    of years to racoons, so I'm sure this was done by a different animal. Neck
    was perfectly severed and skinned, no meat missing, just the skin. Intestines
    very clean and layed out as if arranged. Looks like it could have been done by
    a surgeon it was so neat and tidy. I'll let you know if I find something in the
    trap in the morning......

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    If they free range, I would guess a hawk or owl. Coon would eat the head and kill more and eat their heads too. Coon might have trouble getting a bantie becuse they can fly too, but no bantie can escape an owl or hawk. [​IMG]

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Quote:They lost a guinea not a bantie. Where does the guinea roost at night I think that could help narrow it down some.

7. Scraps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    Let me add some more to the story. I have a mammoth broze hen. Big baby, loves to hang out on the porch.
    She never goes further than the garage, never wanders into the woods...just hangs around close to the house.
    I saw her Tuesday morning, got home around 3 and she was gone. I looked everywhere. I took 5 or 6 walks back in the woods,
    took the dogs hoping they would pick up on something. Not even a feather, just disappeared.

Sooo.......I have 2 eastern turkey hens who usually roost way up on the chicken coop roof. Went out early evening last night and
    only 1 was there on the roof (I had just fed them about an hour before so I know they were both OK at that point) Hubby and I
    looked around with flashlights and couldn't find her so I was hoping she was way up in a tree somewhere. This morning, only 1 turkey left.
    I walked the fenceline and found a small amount of feathers and 2 little chunks of flesh about the size of a quarter. Again, no mess. Very neat
    and clean and no signs of a struggle anywhere.

What the heck can make 2 full size turkeys just vanish? And, is there something that'll eat feathers and all? These were 2 full grown turkeys, the
    mammoth bronze was a good 30-40 pounds so it's not like a hawk could just pick her and carry her away.

8. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I'm willing to bet you have a bobcat. I just went through that a couple weeks ago and it sounds eerily simliar, exept it took a full grown male peacock from my pen (I had left the gate unlatched and he came out of the woods). Body was found half-buried 20 feet into the woods. I put a cage right where I found the body, left the birds head in there as bait along with a chunk of raw chicken and that evening I had a bobcat. Yours will be back for more so lock em up good.

9. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Some sort of Bird of Prey, Owl, hawk...

10. Scraps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    A bobcat?! [​IMG] Geesh, I just found out that Jacksonville is starting to have a
    Coyote problem [​IMG] I really hope its not a bobcat, the only trap I have is
    one sized for a racoon or possum. How did you catch your cat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by