1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of predator eats just the head and/or guts?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by redbone, Aug 21, 2010.

1. redbone

redbone Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Rockvale, TN
    This week I've had 2 chickens killed in their coop. The only entrance for anything to get in would be a gap from the loft or a couple of places that is about 2" wide x 12" long or so.

Earlier this week there was a juvenile about 3-4 months old that just had its head and guts eaten. Last night something ate nothing but the head off of a chicken. What do you guys think this is? Today I'm going to fill in the gaps... but I still would like to know the possible predators. I did kill a small young possum that managed to get in there before I closed them up after free ranging a few days ago... think its another possum or something else?

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Sounds like a coon or weasel to me. Fix the gap, and set a trap.

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Yeah, probably a coon-----the reason the head is only eaten, is probably because that is the part that got pulled through the gap.[​IMG]

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Coons--they usually start with the bird's crop.

5. redbone

redbone Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Rockvale, TN
    The birds weren't tried to pull through any gap.... they were both laying in the middle of the coop... not near a wall at all.

6. Giammona farm

Giammona farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Point Reyes Station, CA
    Weasels. Shoot em all!

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    A racoon. I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Weasel

9. biggin

biggin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    We have had that problem too. An Opossum was getting them. It would eat the head guts and a little of the breast. We also lost some of our bantams to hawks. The hawks would land on the sides of the cages and reach in. They would only eat the head and crop because that is all they could get through the wire.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    A weasel will not usually do more than kill the bird by biting the neck and lapping up the blood, if they feed on the carcass they will go for the breast. I've lost birds to both weasels and coons and I'm still voting coon based on you description of what is eaten. Could also be a rat but they generally won't kill more than one bird at a time and usually aren't specific about what they eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by