What kind of Predator? Graphic Photo

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ken Cook, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Ken Cook

Ken Cook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    Ragley, La.
    Yesterday we had 1 dead chicken. The vent was bloody so I thought maybe the other chickens got to her after she was dead.

Today, I have 2 birds that did not come to the feed trough. When I checked them I noticed that it looked like the skin and flesh had been eaten away From the vent to the lower part of the breast. I don't see any bloody beaks. These 2 birds are still alive and just sitting onthe ground. So I don't see how the other birds could be pecking this area. I would not have been abel see the area if I had not picked them up.

I put them under the heat lamp, but think I will need to put them down after lunch.

There roost is only about 8 inches off the ground, just enough to get off the floor. I'm thinking maybe a Rat?

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Mygirls20

Mygirls20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    OMG I am so sorry [​IMG]thats horrible. They have those mouse and rat traps that are covered the mouse goes it and the trap swivels and kills it there is no way it could hurt your chickens
    [​IMG]
    Something like this if your thinking its a rat or mouse this might help. Hard to believe the chicken would just hold still while it got chewed on poor babies. I hope you find what it is and cant put a stop to it. Again so sorry

3. Ken Cook

Nov 2, 2012
    Ragley, La.
    From what I know about chickens, When they are roosting, they will just stay on the roost. I guess they think it is the safest place.

What gets me is I have 2 birds that are almost identical with holes in their backsides.

I think I will try to get the roost up a little higher off te ground. I made it low as I have some X-Rocks and they get a little heavy to fly up to a 2 foot roost.

4. jasmer

jasmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm almost certain that's rats. I wouldn't use poison, if the rat dies in the chicken run the chickens will eat off of it and can get poisoned as well.

Is it possible for you to raise your roost to at least 2 feet off the ground? Those chickens should be able to jump up onto something 2-3 feet off the ground. Something to consider might also be a cat. Generally cats and chickens get along fabulously, one of our barn cats had to get a painful lesson in the form of a spur right up inside his tail to learn that chickens aren't toys, but they go in and out of the chicken run, they get their water right there with the chickens and they all get along just fine now that the cats have been shown their place in the pecking order (which isn't very high lol).

5. jasmer

Oct 15, 2012
    Another thing to try would be to go to a co-op store or something and find some live rodent traps. Your chickens can't accidentally trigger these by stepping on them and you can see if it's really rats causing the problem. I would try to avoid poisons because if that rat dies in your chicken coop/run the chickens will eat it and get poisoned as well. I've seen this happen with dogs and cats, and I know that chickens will happily eat a dead rat.

6. Ken Cook

Nov 2, 2012
    Ragley, La.
    I have already raised the roost today, but this is happing while they are off the roost.

I just found another 1 dead. Not one of the 2 that are under the heatlamp. Now I see blood on some of the others beaks. I also checked all the others and found 1 more with the samething starting at her vent. After I watched for a few mins, I saw one of the little buff orphingtons pecking there.

I guess it is canabism.

I am using a 5 foot trough to feed them, but I've noticed that the Freedom Rangers and X-rocks crowd the small ones out.

I have a plan: It is just about time for butchering. I was going to do it this weekend anyway. I'll just take them all, the broilers, to freezer camp tomorrow morning. That's about 30 I'll have to kill by myself. I wanted to wait for my 15 year old son to help this weekend. Luckly I have a new Ez-Plucker.

We'll see what happens when there is more room at the feed trough.

7. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    Ekk sorry I have heard stories of chickens eating chickens and it being a hard thing to break... If I lived by you I would help out with the butchering. A ez plucker I want one!!! My husband is suppose to be making one but who ever knows when that day will come for now I have to dip them in boiling water and hand pluck I couldnt imagine doing 30 like that by myself. So sorry for your losses

8. jasmer

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm wondering if this isn't some other animal starting it, and the chickens just pecking at it when they see it. But the bloody beaks will tell you who your culprit is.

9. Ken Cook

Nov 2, 2012
    Ragley, La.

I was also wondering if a rat started the wound and the rest of the flock just found a weak chicken. I'll see what happends after the Big Day, tomorrow. This will definitly make more room at the feed trough

I plan to process all the browlers and any bird with blood on its beak.

I have been doing the Fermeted Feed and been feeding twice a day. Today I fed them 3 times. I think I will go to dry feeders once the broilers are processed. That way I can use the hanging feeders that allow them to eat any time they want.

The Orphingtons, I have 13, were ordered as 10 hens and 3 roosters are meant for eggs. They are all 10 weeks old, so no eggs yet.

10. Mygirls20

Jan 20, 2013
    Colorado
    good luck again sorry that happened I would try traps you can even put them outside the coop maybe use tiny pieces of store bought chicken breast that way the traps arent near the chickens at all hope you catch the evil thing that did this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by