What kind of Predator is this?????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SilkieCRZYness, Apr 30, 2009.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    [​IMG]

I know this isnt a good picture, i lost 9 chickens a few nights ago, just feathers left whole bodies completely gone, no feet or anything left, i think its between some type of a cat predator or a fox. a coon couldnt eat 50lbs of chicken in a few hours. Ill try to get a better picture tonight, just know i live in the middle of no where, with a 450,000 game reserve that connects to my property. Also, what ever it was went in a 1x1 hole cut out on the side of my coop for my chickens to go in and out of, its 2 ft high. thanks

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Definitely looks like some sort of feline tail to me.

If you live that close to a preserve, couldn't a cougar/panther easily eat 50lbs of chicken?

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I think it's a wild cat predator.....like maybe a bobcat or something like that. A fox would have alot fluffier tail then that. That's so scarey....good luck!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This site may help identify the predator, but I could not figure it out from this. With that many gone I'd think coyotes. The tail looks feline if that is what you are referring to. How did you get that picture?

http://osuextra.okstate.edu/pdfs/F-8204web.pdf

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    i agree that a fox would have a fluffier tail, but idk about you but ive never seen a 100-150lb panther crawl through a 1 ftx 1ft hole, it cant be a bobcat, where the bob tail? maybe its a new breed of bob cat.

6. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I think you have something called a Florida panther which is a subspecies of cougar. They have a dark-tipped tail...YIKES - WAY COOL - YIKES!!

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:That's what I was thinking!!! [​IMG]

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    That tail definitely looks feline!

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I think you photographed a kitty, but maybe your predator was something else. A family of coons could have easily taken the chickens. Minks will sometimes kill a lot of birds and drag the bodies away to hide for later. Actually, lots of predators due that. I doubt that they were all eaten immediately. I'll bet they're stashed somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by