What kind of predator leaves no trace? 30 chickens gone...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TinyLittleFarm, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    A friend of mine and her next door neighbor lost 30 chickens in one night. I am not sure how secure their coops are, but I do know they have not had previous trouble with losses. Most of the chickens were chicks that I think were about 2 months old. The birds simply disappeared. There is no sign of a break in. No feathers, no blood...nothing. They have searched and searched acres around their homes. They are both sad and frustrated of course.

Can anyone think of something that would/could do this?

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    A human predator would be my first guess.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It does sound intriging, 30 is alot so I wonder if it's more 1 preditor. I lost 11 in one day 3 years ago and after a minor adjustment haven't lost one since. It hurts a bunch and makes you mad.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Thirty birds without a trace would certainly suggest a ten fingered predator to me as well.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Good point I didn't think of that, very possible.

6. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Is there any evidence around the coops? For instance, footprints or pawprints in the dirt/mud? A latch left undone?

I would get inside the coop, get down to chicken level and peer about. Could there be a small opening allowing a predator to come in or the chickens to get out?

7. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, I had two details wrong. One, all the chickens were out. The neighbor's chickens were free ranging, and my friend's chicks escaped under a gap in the door. It was during the day. There were also some chickens who survived and are safe at home. I thought probably something scared them into the woods and they just hid and freaked out, but as I said both women have searched and searched.

My friend doesn't think it was a person because taking that many chickens would take a bit of doing and while they both have small acreage, they live in a neighborhood and you'd think someone would see something.

Even though the chickens were all out, that's a lot of birds to lose in one day without a trace.

8. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Is the area wooded with low hanging branches? If so, it would be easy for them to flap onto a branch and into a tree. Also, they could easily hide, thinking that you are a predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by