What kind of predator would come out during the day(besides hawks)?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Willow's Meadow, May 17, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    I heard some people had predators getting the chickens in the day when they were in the run. What kind would that be? Fox? I have NEVER seen fox, minks, raccoons etc. out walking around during the day. [​IMG]

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I saw a group of coyotes take down a full grown deer in broad daylight in the afternoon behind our house in the country when I was about 10 yrs. old. I really think it has to do with inspiration and opportunity. Don't forget that dogs and cats are predators, too.

3. chickee

chickee Songster

Willow's Meadow :

I heard some people had predators getting the chickens in the day when they were in the run. What kind would that be? Fox? I have NEVER seen fox, minks, raccoons etc. out walking around during the day. [​IMG]

I have a real problem with Bob Cats getting my chickens during the day! They are sneeky, and I rarely see or hear them do it!![​IMG] I even had one go through 3 strands of hotwire on top of my chicken yard fence [​IMG] I had to ad height to the fence and put hotwire on top of that! So far it is working [​IMG]

4. greyartist

greyartist Songster

Jan 22, 2010
    NC
    Willow's Meadow :

I had never seen a fox out during the day either until week before last when I was outside around 3 or 4pm and heard the chickens making a fuss and ran over to see a red fox trotting off with a black star hen! I ran after it and when he looked back and saw me he dropped her. She died 2 days later from the injuries. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the chickens out of the cow pasture and closer to the house.​

5. homeinspectorman

homeinspectorman In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Oklahoma, Durant
    Over the years, I have seen pretty much all of the “normal” critters in broad daylight. Season, weather, construction activity, hunger can cause any animal to alter their preferred hunting hours. Had a skunk wander across the front yard last week around 2 PM. Coons and possums show up round the clock when they are raising their family. Same for our local fox.

6. mmpb1

mmpb1 In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, all day and all night the killers come for our chooks. About 10 A.M. one morning, a guinea was giving the "get here quick" alarm. We have the chicken house with an enclosed run in our orchard which is surrounded by a 6 foot chain link fence. Chickers get to free range in there during the day.

I came out to see a fox trying to take my RIR roo over that fence. When the fox saw me, she climbed the fence, had second thoughts, scaled the fence again, and tried once more for Big Red. I was yelling, "No , Foxy, No", because I really like foxes. Red survived.

Margie

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hawks, foxes, dogs, cats. raccoons, opossums, snakes, coyotes.... all will hunt during the day. I've seen every darn one of them in daytime, regularly.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hawks, fox, coyotes, dogs, raccoons, mink, weasels, bobcats, opossums- I even had a horned owl kill a bantam hen mid morning on a cloudy day. When they are hungry or feeding young, they will hunt.

9. gjpaddles

gjpaddles In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Anaheim Hills
    My Chicks are locked up in their run/coop. But I was out in the middle of the day sitting outside watching them and a huge Hawk comes flying by. I'm not sure if it was checking out my 6 week old chicks or maybe it was eyeballing my little Jack Russell puppies. But it was huge and it flew by at about 20ft off the ground. They wont be free ranging, that's for sure!

10. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:YUP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: