What kind of quail...?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by IcarusSomnio, Nov 18, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I bought 12 Quail from a local guy, along with cage, feeder, and waterer. I put them in my brooder (large, has a heat lamp) and they dust-bathed for a good half hour or so. Happy little birds.

Anyways!
    I don't know what kind they are. They're mostly white, with a spot of brown on the back of the head. Some have another small spot, some have white beaks and some have dark beaks. No eggs that I've found yet, I'm not even sure which are girls and which are boys!

I'll get pics once my camera is charged, thanks in advance guys [​IMG]

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like white Coturnix...you can vent sex them or wait for crowing or eggs ...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  3. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Do they look like this? If so those are English Whites. He is a little dirty in this pic.

[​IMG]

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:unless it's an A&M/jumbo White...

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:unless it's an A&M/jumbo White...

DONT SPLIT HAIRS, IF YOU WANT TO BE ABSOLUTELY TECHNICAL A&M'S ARE A STRAIN OF ENGLISH WHITE=== 1 INCH TALLER AND 1 OUNCE HEAVIER

6. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:Pretty much! 'cept mine have a bit bigger spot and seem smaller than yours. I heard one making a very pretty sound...I gotta look up how quails crow, 'cause I haven't a clue [​IMG]

I vent sexed to the best of my ability and marked the ones I thought to be boys and girls. We'll see how correct I am as they get older [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by