What kind of rabbits do I have?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dinos_rock, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

This is Violet. I got her about a week ago along with a boy rabbit. I think she is pregnant because they were living together when I got them. I looked and she is most definetly a girl and the other is most definetly a boy. The boy rabbit is the same but all black. They weigh about 5 pounds or less each. Does anyone know what kind of rabbits they are?

2. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Probably a mutt, but her markings are those of an English Spot. That's what most of mine look like, but some are solid black (same body build though). How much do you think they weigh? Mine range from 7 lbs - 10 lbs, but they are mixed with other breeds.

Hope this helps,
    Emily in NC

3. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Most rabbits are not pure bred. You pretty well have to go to a reliable breeder in order to get a purebred rabbit, and they will come with a pedigree. Many breeds can be solid black or black spotted. As someone else mentioned, black spotted could be English spot, which are fairly small rabbits. All the lops are extremely popular and can come in any color solid or broken (spotted). Yours has a really nice butterfly on her nose, which is one of the things to look for in a broken colored rabbit. As long as they are sweet rabbits and you enjoy them, that's all that matters. Mixed rabbits are every bit as good as purebred ones [​IMG]

4. Kramer Farms

Kramer Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Just a guess. A young checkered giant maybe.

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    She's a little cutie, that's what she is! [​IMG]
    As others have said, unless you are buying from a reputable breeder and your bun comes with a pedigree, it is most likely a cross.
    Not to worry - as NoelTate says, as long as they are sweet, you have a good one! My bunny came with a long, detailed, and aristocratic pedigree, and she is the most opinionated, bossy little rabbit that ever was! She pushes both the dog and the cat around, bites anyone other than me that tries to pick her up, and is just a little beastie! She's lucky I love her so...[​IMG]

6. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    The girl rabbit, Violet, started to pull out her fur. So I guess that means she's pregnant, right?[​IMG] She is separated from Turtle, the boy rabbit, now.

What should I do? (besides the obvious - get them fixed, which will happen btw)

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If she is pulling fur she needs a nest - give her a small box with straw or hay she can burrow down in to give birth. The babies will live under there with her fur covering them for about 2 weeks. Then they will hop out and be all furry and tiny and cute.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    That's what happens when boys and girls are living together in sin!

[​IMG]

9. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    OK, thanks. Btw, she has a cage that has access to the ground and it has concrete way down deep to keep them from burrowing out of thier cage. Well, the other day (about a week ago) she made a huge burrow, but my dad filled it in. Do they make burrows when they are pregnant like that?

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Yep. They are making a baby nest of sorts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by