What kind of Red?? (production,RIR?,etc) (pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oliviad51, Oct 20, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ok...I've always called these Rhode Island Reds...but now Im starting to think they are production reds or something. I have each breed numbered so it will be easy to tell me. Thanks!

Breed #1- [​IMG]

Breed #1- [​IMG]

Breed #1- [​IMG]

Breed #2- (she jumped on the grill! LOL) The feathers around her neck are dark brown..the feathers on her body are lighter. [​IMG]

Breed #3- (**I know the rooster is a RIR...I want to know the breed of the hen to the very left. Sorry, I couldn't get a good pic. She is a little lighter than breed #1...kind of orange. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Production Red is what some people name any "Rhode Island Red" from a hatchery or hatchery stock, and what some people call Rhode Island Red mixes. . . So it all depends. [​IMG]

They look to me like "Production Reds," though, but that's because I consider any RIR from a hatchery as such, as they're FAR from the breed standards and/or the original dual-purpose breed.

3. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i believe the breed standard to be a darker red, more consistant color all over, less "light: patches in the feathers.

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks! :)

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Look like Production Reds to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by