What kind of Roo is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GingerJess, Apr 30, 2017.

1. GingerJess

GingerJess New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Princeton, MN
    I picked out a Rooster from my neighbor to try to raise my own chicks this spring. I have 2 black Australorps and 2 red sexlink hens. I picked him because he has a red head (like a Rhode Island Red) but most of his feathers a black/green like my Australorps. I looked online and can't find anything like him. I'm assuming he's just a good looking crossbreed? Kind of excited to see what the babies look like!

How many hens per rooster is recommended?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Do you have a picture?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The recommended ratio is one cock bird to 10 hens. With only 4 hens, he could well over-mate them, resulting in feather loss and an unnecessary level of stress. Having said that, some cock birds are not so rough and even when one has many hens, the cock birds tend to prefer certain girls. I'd consider doubling your hen count though.

4. GingerJess

GingerJess New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Princeton, MN
    Ugh-technical difficulties:( I will have to try again in the morning from a regular computer-I thought it attached to my original post:(

5. GingerJess

GingerJess New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Princeton, MN

Thank you!! So far he's quite the gentleman-he's shy and I've only see him mate once. I'm planning on getting 4 more girls if he doesn't do his job within the next week or so. I will unload picture in the morning. Thank you!

6. GingerJess

GingerJess New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Princeton, MN

I'm having technical difficulties. I've tried loading it 5 times-I will try again in the morning when I'm at a computer-sorry!!!

7. GingerJess

GingerJess New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    Princeton, MN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    X2 althought depending on the roosters temperment, 4 could be fine for him. I work at a chicken shop and we've got many many pens of a rooster with 1-4 hens. It all just depends if he's a Horny boy or not.

9. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    England :P
    My Coop
    x2 but i still recommend more hens (just in case!)

10. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Indeed, hence i stated that some are "not so rough", i.e. a reference to temperament

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by