What kind of Rooster do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by billrey, Sep 9, 2010.

1. billrey

billrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    What kind of rooster is this? I am thinking maybe a Minorcas, but not sure. He was suppose to be an Australorp. He is not a flighty bird at all. He is about 7 month old now and I worry about his comb for the winter, since I live in NW Minnesota.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I don't know the breed. He is so pretty. I would guess Black Minorca or White Faced Black Spanish. He looks kinda bluish white on his face. As far as his comb goes. If you have your coup insulated and prepared right, and you limit his exposure to extreme elements his comb should be alright. If not then dubbing would be a option if you can handle a little blood. It may seem like a horrible thing but it is better on the chicken if he is going to be subject to freezing temperatures. The waddles should be fine, but they can be shortened or removed also. I live in MS so I normally don't have to worry about frostbite, but this past winter was the worst and my poor SS roosters had terrible frostbite almost all the way down the comb. I let mine free range a lot. So, off went the comb and the roosters loved the new look (strutting their stuff everywhere) . I can imagine that the weight off the top of their head was a relief as well.

3. billrey

billrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
  4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    White Faced Black Spanish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by