What kind of rooster is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LBraden, Feb 15, 2016.

1. LBraden

LBraden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know what kind of rooster this is? I bought the entire flock from a lady and all she told me was that it was a "red roo". I was trying to decide whether to keep him or not but I'd like to know exactly what kind he actually is. A guy that works for us guessed RIR but this is his first time being around chickens. Lol. Is it a red sex link since she had 5 of those hens already? She tended to have a rooster for every breed of hen that she had. The pictures are kinda dark but he is actually red, not black like those pictures look. Just a darker red than the sex link hens that she had.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm going with classic Barnyard Mix [​IMG]

He's got some nice red behind him for the darker red color, but the body shape is all off for a Rhode Island. He also looks to have black mixed in with the red? Pics in better light would help, I can't tell if he's just a mix of black and red or partridge colored. He's not a sex link rooster, they're basically white with a little red on the wings.

3. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    x2

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I answered you on your other thread already, but as I said there, he's a mixed breed.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I answered you on your other thread.

6. LBraden

LBraden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2016
    Haha. Thanks! Yea I didn't mean to post twice, I'm actually not sure how that happened! I'm going to try to get a better picture of him tomorrow in the sun so you can see his color, its a nice deep red. I just don't think I'm going to keep him if he's just a barnyard mix. He would be a great rooster for someone that free ranges because he's really protective of his girls. I just don't think I want any babies out of him! [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by