1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of rooster is this? Red Jungle Fowl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by STR33TL1GHTS, Nov 11, 2009.

1. STR33TL1GHTS

STR33TL1GHTS Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    I'm new to keeping chickens and am learning new things daily...here is one of my roosters, my dad got it from a ranch close to where we live, I dont want to judge, but I think alot of people around here are into cock fighting...alot of these places with chickens only have roosters...anyway, can anyone tell me what this rooster is...i had randomly posted a picture on a honda forum and got all kinds of weird replies...looking online i guessed this was a red jungle fowl...but i could be wrong...thanks for the help...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Looks like a Welsummer. He is gorgeous!!! I have a few Welsummer hen who need a boyfriend. [​IMG]

3. babyspice35

babyspice35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Maui Wowee
    I had one like that!!! I found him in the wild and had to eventually let him go when i raised him up. He is a gamecock! Jungle fowl. They get really skittish sometimes when older:)

He's SO handsome!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  4. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    I love the multi-color! [​IMG]

5. STR33TL1GHTS

Nov 11, 2009
    Quote:id hook you up, but i live in brentwood and this guy is picky, i have two red sex linkeds, and a barred rock, and it took a while for him to get "interested"

6. STR33TL1GHTS

Nov 11, 2009
    so do you guys think he is a welsummer, gamecock, jungle fowl, red jungle fowl?

as you can see, i dont know much about chickens...

7. babyspice35

babyspice35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Maui Wowee
    What are you going to do with him? Maybe you'll never know the exact breed [​IMG] Were you going to try and breed him? If hes just for meat i suppose it doesn't really matter what kind of breed he is...

8. STR33TL1GHTS

Nov 11, 2009
    i could never eat him, or any of my chickens, i think the people my dad got the rooster from fight chickens so i dont want him to go anywhere like that...i think im just gonna let him live the rest of his life just hangin out with his harem...i wish i was him...haha (just kidding)

i do want to try and raise some chicks next spring... i have two red sex linkeds and a barred rock, i dont know what will come out if i cross them with my rooster...

i just want to know what he is...i guess out of curiosity...

9. STR33TL1GHTS

Nov 11, 2009
    i could never eat him, or any of my chickens, i think the people my dad got the rooster from fight chickens so i dont want him to go anywhere like that...i think im just gonna let him live the rest of his life just hangin out with his harem...i wish i was him...haha (just kidding)

i do want to try and raise some chicks next spring... i have two red sex linkeds and a barred rock, i dont know what will come out if i cross them with my rooster...

i just want to know what he is...i guess out of curiosity...

10. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I do not think he is jungle fowl. Its hard to get a good appreciation of his size from the pictures, but he appears to be too big for jungle fowl. Also, if I remember correctly, jungle fowl have dark legs, yours has yellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by