What kind of rooster is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CRicci, Nov 5, 2010.

1. CRicci

CRicci New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    I am so curious what this rooster is. I picked up about 12 of them at tractor supply in the summer. I was told they were comets. About half were females and the other half males. They looked identical when they were chicks.

[​IMG]

Edited to add my husband just said its a Texas Longhorn Chicken. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Comets are a mixture of two different breeds....I'm thinking one is the white leghorn. I'm not the best a guessing, so I'll agree with your husband....The TEXAS LONGHORN! [​IMG]

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    He is a Golden Comet rooster. They are sexlinks and the roos should be white like yours and the hen should be red with white tails.

4. CRicci

CRicci New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    The females are almost pure white with some brown flecks in the wings. I do have two that are only white females. Gotta go get a pic of the girls.

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    He's a golden comet, but it's odd that you say they looked identical as chicks. Comets are sex-linked. You should have been able to tell them apart by color from day one.

6. CRicci

CRicci New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    Here is a pic of the hen. There are three of them in this pic. At the bottom left is one, text to the turkey. The red chickens are red sex links.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    Ya i have golden commets and that looks like a rooster i know. He is a little more brown than a normal commet but i geuss he is. How are the girls. I started out with 16 3 years ago and a couple of days ago i just lost my last one.

8. CRicci

CRicci New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    The girls are real quiet and calm. But i have yet to see an egg from them. They should be laying soon but with less daylight they may not. My husbands favorite hen is the pure white hen from the same batch.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Oh Ok if the hens are mostly white too then they are probably Amber Links, which are feather sexed, not color sexed. Here is the Amber Link thread with pictures, the red and white colored ones in the first pics are regulare Red Sexlinks, just the white ones are Amber links.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=358938

10. CRicci

CRicci New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    Yep he sure does look like the other amberlink roos! Thanks so much. That was the only breed I had left to identify. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by