What kind of rooster is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sweetsugar2242, Sep 26, 2012.

1. sweetsugar2242

sweetsugar2242 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    Dickson
    [​IMG]
    Are they usually good roosters? Just wondering how he will be around my kids.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    A clearer pic would be better but it looks like a Barred Rock cockerel. And with roosters it is always a gamble on temperment, each bird is an individual. As a breed they are pretty docile. I would win him over with treats, make sure the kids don't chase any of the birds and have them give the treats as well. If he sees them as providers and not a threat, he should be a pretty good roo.

3. sweetsugar2242

sweetsugar2242 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    Dickson
    Thanks! He seems scared of us right now. We raised him since he was little. He has never done anything but he has just gotten to his mature stage too. Doesn't seem aggressive at all right now

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I won my cockerel over with pancakes and raisins. I sat down so I was not as big in his eyes and started by tossing pieces in front of him. Eventually, about 2 weeks later, after doing this every day he was eating out of my hand. Now he is the first to greet me and follows me around like my dog. And when I sit on the edge of the deck he knows it is treat time and calls the girls over.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he is either a barred rock or a black sex link

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred rock.

7. AllisonD

AllisonD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    Hard to tell without a closer picture, but it LOOKS like a barred rock. You never can tell for sure with roosters, but I had a barred rock rooster who was sweet, nice to the hens and gentle with the people. He used to hop up on my arm for mealworms! He was huge, we had to give him away at six months because he was just too loud, and we sure miss him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by