what kind of rooster is this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenjimmy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. chickenjimmy

chickenjimmy In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

We got this rooster as a joke and I'm not entirely sure we should allow it to breed with our other chickens

2. chickenjimmy

Jul 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is probably a better picture

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a cross, if he's nice and you don't mind mixed chickens I see no reason not to let him be with the ladies

eta looks like he would throw some big babies if you plan on eating the extra roosters that hatch

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  4. chickenjimmy

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks we're actually new to chickens and he was our first, I kind of figured he was going to be a mutt when he was given to us as a gag gift (they actually thought we were going to give it back) but then we got the hen from a friend last week and should have 15 buff orpingtons in the mail by Friday. Colonel shatner (the rooster) will probably be eaten when our Orpington cockerel comes of age.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Can't blame you there, good luck

6. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chirping

Mar 9, 2013
    what kind of joke was this?
    and i think it must be a cross to

7. chickenjimmy

Jul 26, 2013
    My family had always talked about raising chickens, our neighbor then took it upon herself to release this rooster into our yard on one of our birthdays, he seemed very angry and would often attack us, after we got the hen two weeks ago he has been much more dosile

8. chickencatcher1

chickencatcher1 In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    Central Maine
    A cross for sure

9. We have one that looks just like him. Wonderful roo, we were told 2nd or 3rd generation from sex-linked chickens
    [​IMG]
    Heavy boy too. Hmmm, should weigh him later when I need to check his bandage on his bumblefoot surgery site.

10. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chirping

Mar 9, 2013
    oh right, couldnt think of any jokes including getting some one a rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: