What kind of rooster is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cowgirl212, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Cowgirl212

Cowgirl212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    [​IMG]
    What kinds of rooster does everyone think this is?

I was told he was a black orpington, but I've been looking at other pictures of black orpingtons and I'm not seeing the red feathering around the neck. Could he still be a black orpington, perhaps crossed with another breed?

2. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    crossed with another breed ,where did you get it from?
    I am hatching some eggs if the BBS Orpington chicks that hatches is a rooster you can have him if that's what your looking for.I already have a black one.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. Cowgirl212

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    I bought him at a local swap meet along with a black orpington pullet, and 2 buff orpingtons. These are the first chickens I have bought myself (we had a small flock when I was growing up years ago) so I am kind of new to chickens. I love orpingtons, they are my favorite! My goal is to get some blue & lavender orpingtons at some point.

4. lilliesanchicks

Feb 14, 2013
    Well let me know how close you are I can give you a blue, black or splash one if it is a rooster that hatches. If you want it that is ,no charge.
    I will have lavenders next year if you want some hatching eggs. Right now it is just 1 black split to lavender rooster and lavender eggs due to hatch Thursday.

This is what I was told about the hatching eggs I am hatching.My two black eggs didn't make it.
    Blue,black and Splash (100% English), Black (large % English), Lavender (percentage English)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. Cowgirl212

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    I am from the northwest area of Missouri, what area are you from? I might be interested in a blue or splash rooster. How many orpington eggs are you currently hatching? Are the eggs from your hens or do u order them somewhere?

6. lilliesanchicks

Feb 14, 2013
    I am over by Brookfield mo ,the eggs are from a BYCer on here. I am hatching 5 eggs right now 1 lemon coocko 1 BBS and 3 lavender. And I have Black Orp given to me that is split to lavender he is huge but sweet to the free ranging girls.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Black copper Marans maybe?

8. Cowgirl212

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri

We are roughly 3 hours apart then. Keep in touch let me know how the hatching goes! I don't have any hatching supplies right now but I'm hoping to get some within the next year, so hopefully I will be able to get some blues and lavenders into my flock.

9. lilliesanchicks

Feb 14, 2013
    I always have broodies and am always hatching so I will have chicks available as well. I will let you know how it goes.

10. Cowgirl212

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    He does resemble black copper marans very much. He doesn't have as much of the copper coloring, but he is still young so I will see if he changes more. I thought copper marans are kind of rare though? I am curious what his offspring will look like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by