1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of rooster should I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jane Jill Jack, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    I'm planning on getting about a dozen hens in a couple of weeks to add to my laying flock. I plan on raising chicks from the hens' eggs and would like to get good layers. If I have several EEs, Barred Rocks, Sex Links, and Rhode Island Reds, which rooster would help get chicks that would become just as good layers as their mothers or better? I don't really mind the color of the rooster, but would like for him to be about six pounds. Thanks for any help.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For boosting the laying capacity of the offspring, probably a Leghorn. Any of the Dual Purpose breeds would work well too, but Leghorns are egg laying machines. The rooster should be about the weight you want. The other dual purpose breeds, Australorp, Orpington, Delaware, any of the Rocks or Wyandottes, or Sussex would be good choices but the rooster will be quite a bit bigger.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have a mixed flock similar to yours and put a brown leghorn roo over them, for the same reason. Plus, I love the "classic" rooster coloring!

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    You need an Iowa blue, come take mine!

5. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Thanks donrae and Ridgerunner! I guess I'll get some kind of leghorn, or maybe an EE. I'm sorry BlackBrookPoultry, but you're a little too far away. I'm in Colorado. [​IMG] Thanks though everybody!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Delivery could be arranged . . . my husband works in Denver and drives back and forth. You could maybe make sex link chicks with him. I know it works with White Plymouth rocks and New Hampshires. [​IMG] I'm just kidding about you taking him (kind of) he's a sweet rooster, but a total accident. Sandhill shipped him as a Black Orpington.

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:X2
    I just also recomended a Brown Leghorn on another thread on here they are beautiful and good flock leaders too

catdaddy

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by