What kind of rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cjsgrlsx3, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This is what he started out as and now his feathers look like this.....
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Jersey Giant (I think I can see some yellow on his feet...) with some gold leakage, maybe?

3. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    I thought he was a Jersey Giant from the feet but do they normally have splashes in their feathers? Now that he has grown a bit his feet are more black then yellow.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I've got an olive-egger rooster with the same splashes in his hackles. I don't know his exact parentage (I bought hatching eggs), but some kind of marans/ameraucana cross
    [​IMG]

5. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    Beautiful bird!!! Hope mine looks a bit like yours when he is all grown up! But now that I take a closer look at the photo I pulled up a clearer picture and noticed something black on his waddles! What could this be?
    [​IMG]

6. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks. [​IMG]
    Do you mean the tiny black dot on his waddles? I would not worry about it. Several of my hens had little black dots like that on their combs at one time. I think I read that it could be from others pecking at them, - a little scab forms. It went away on mine eventually. Maybe someone else on here knows more about that.

7. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    Yes that is what I was talking about. The top dot is a bug.......lol.....I checked the photo right after this one and it was gone! Also when will his head be more "red"? Mine are still a bit pale.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by