What kind of Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flockandgarden, Mar 23, 2013.

1. flockandgarden

flockandgarden Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2011
    Connecticut
    I can't tell what kind he is any ideas?
    [​IMG]

He is very very large with a beautiful green tail. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Looks like a Easter Egger rooster to me

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    x2

4. flockandgarden

Sep 23, 2011
    Connecticut
    OMG, now I see it. I saved him from someones dinner plate and has been a wonderful addition to the farm. He even took a nasty racoon's eye out (been trying to trap that racoon for months). Always willing to jump in your lap. Never thought I could love a rooster so much.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be an Easter Egger rooster. I'm also seeing a Faverolles mixed with a cushion comb chicken (since pea combs are often dominant, there should be some evidence of either a pea or a single comb on your roo for it to be an EE, and I see neither). It's really that comb that's throwing me off here.

6. flockandgarden

Sep 23, 2011
    Connecticut
    That is what I thought. My first thought was some kind of Faverolle mix. But I don't know what kind of chickens have that comb. Any Idea?

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The rare Chantecler is the only one with a cushion comb that comes to mind. I would say it could be a strawberry comb cross, but your roo doesn't look gamey enough (Malays and other very gamey birds have strawberry combs, which look a lot like a cushion). Or even some sort of large walnut comb (some northern European breeds, Silkies, and others I can't remember have this type of comb). So, yeah, I really still have no idea [​IMG]

Just looked up the genetics, though, and I think if I had to guess I'd still say Easter Egger x something. Turns out the cushion works like a cross between a pea comb and a rose comb, combined with the "smooth comb" gene (you can see this in a lot of rose comb birds). So, the pea comb could come from an Ameraucana or EE (most likely), and then your boy would be crossed with a rose combed bird that possessed the smooth comb gene (though not necessarily, apparently it can appear smooth even without the gene). Leave it to chicken genetics to be confusing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by