What kind of shoes do you wear to the hen house?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rainbowgardens, Dec 21, 2009.

1. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My coop is located at the bottom of a slope and has been a muddy slippery mess all fall. Now that we've gotten snow, it's getting very slick as the snow has packed down and frozen.

What kind of footwear do you use? I'd like something that I can slip in and out of quickly without needing to use my hands. What have you found to be useful?

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I have a pair of rubber rain boots that I wear out there. Good tread, waterproof, and generally I can put them on with no hands (or at worst, I need to use one hand to wrap my pants leg tight enough to go down inside). Added benefit of peck- and rooster-attack-repellent. The boots stay in the garage, and I use a pair of slippers or sandals to walk out to them so that the chicken manure stays out of the house.

I'd love to get a set of overshoes, though, so I could just wear whatever I've already got on.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    For the snow, I wear hiking-style snow boots with rubberized soles. If the weather isn't as bad, or if I'm feeling lazy, I just slip on a pair of those plastic clogs. They can take a lot of abuse and don't get all soggy.

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I use a giant pair of snowboots
    They are like, size 16 mens (really absurdly huge) but that means that I can put them on with no hands, and I dont have to wear socks in them to keep my feet warm [​IMG] i was thinking of getting some cute galoshes for summer, though. [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I wear muck boots out - but they do and can slip on ice... I dont' have a hill to climb or anything like that.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Of course not, does Nebraska even have hills??

7. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Crocks that sit by the back door. They stay in the back yard and I put them on whenever I go out. The good news is that their aren't any scorpian beds in my neighborhood and so far no cockroaches have decided to hang out in my shoes - thought that could happen. [Now are you even more glad to live in the cold north?]

8. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

The same ole tennis shoes I mow the yard and work the garden in. Ive had em about 4 years. If its rainy or wet I have some rubber wading boots.

9. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    BARE FOOT
    gota find the "lawn mines" some how

on a more serous note i wear a pair of old tennis shoes in the summer and winter boots in the winter, come spring depending on how muddy things are a pair of rubber boots

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Of course not, does Nebraska even have hills??

[​IMG] the SANDHILLS silly! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by