What kind of silkie is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pw_quiltworks, Nov 1, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I ordered white silkies and got a couple of free eggs in the batch. This is the only extra one that hatched. What is it. It looks funny with the white ones and can you tell if it is a male or female? It's much larger then the white ones. It's a silkie I am sure. That is all I know. Thanks for any help. Sorry the pictures are not too good. The chick is a mover and a shaker. [​IMG] [​IMG] It's 6 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Lavendar/Self Blue and Im guessing Pullet.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Pullet

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure its a lavendar, and not a splash? Ive read that splash bred to splash for several generations can produce birds without the splash marks.

5. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Looks like a light blue. I can see a few darker feathers comeing in.
    And about the sex. I think its a bit to young to tell.
    But if I had to put it out there I would say pullet

If I had ahold of it I could tell you for sure. A picture only tells so much

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    looks like a splash pullet to me

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Pretty!

8. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    It does have some black feathers on it's back. I will take some more tomorrow in the daylight. My camera is not great in the dark even with the flash. Thanks for your replies. It sure does look funny with the white ones. I will get a picture of all of them tomorrow.

I am a little disgusted with my black copper marans....5 COCKERELS 1 PULLET. I think anyways. I will take some pictures them tomorrow as well. They are 4 and 1/2 months old and 3 crow. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I NEED FEMALES. Hopefully the one pullet will lay soon and I can incubate several. Another 6 months.......[​IMG] I do like one of the roosters real well. He is just big and beautiful. If there is such a thing as alpha roo he is it. Maybe that is what I will name him.

9. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Looks like a very faint light blue pullet

10. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Chick 1
    [​IMG] Chick 2
    [​IMG] Chick 3

Seriously how can anyone tell what they are with all the weird feathers. Maybe they are still too young to tell the gender. It's real hard to get good pictures of them. They move a lot. I really just want to know what the odd ball chick is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by