What kind of snake is this? (*PICS*)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kuntrygirl, Jul 24, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I went out to pick eggs this evening and I stuck my hand in a nesting box and what I grabbed did not feel like an egg, so I IMMEDIATELY jumped back. A few minutes later, this little fella wiggled out.

Does anyone know what kind of snake this is? He was 4'9" long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    rat snake

3. SilkieMomma

SilkieMomma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    A great big ugly one!! [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Well he eats more than just rats. He had an egg inside of him. I crushed it when I touched the spot. Would he have bite me?

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Rat snake ,
    but with that pattern we call them chicken snakes around here, sure was a beauty

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Texas rat snake .. i have a female who lives in my yard.. nice snakes.. eat rodents but also eggs.. and won't turn down a small chick if one gets in the way.. ours gets along fine with our cats and hens.. even though she has raided a few nests we like to have her around for rodent control.. we figure we can pay her in eggs when the rodents are scarce...

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

by the way.. that one looks like a female to me

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Yes, he would have bitten you, I guarantee it. But you wouldn't die from it, and you wouldn't even need to go to the hospital. What a scare that must have been for you though.

10. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Gray rat snake (aka fox snake, chicken snake). Non-poisonous and harmless to humans. Excellent for rodent control but will eat eggs and chicks occasionally. Different version of the black rat snake which we have here. They have a free pass at our farm, though if they become persistent about stealing eggs they will get relocated to the horse/cattle barn down the road. Thus far I've been lucky and have not had a problem. I certainly wouldn't begrudge a few eggs occasionally to keep down the rodent population. If you ever need to move one you can just pick it up gently by sliding your hand under the back 1/3 of its body and lifting it. They will balance and let you carry them to a different location. If one does bite you it's no big deal; certainly less painful than getting tangled in a blackberry bush. That said I do understand how frightening snakes can be to lots of people (it's taken me years to retrain my Dad- I'm SO proud of him). The main thing to remember is that most of them won't hurt you, though they may make you hurt yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by