What kind of snake is this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by deacons, Aug 21, 2014.

1. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Heard my girls chattering and found three of them all staring intently at this snake. We live in southern NH, and I've really only ever seen garter snakes. This guy was different-would probably only be about a foot long if stretched out, but he was striking out at them as they got close. Never seen that before. My neighbor just moved his wood pile, so I'm guessing this guy's home got disturbed.

[​IMG]

Would like to know if this is something to be worried about-for the chickens, but also because it's right where my neighbors kids play.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  3. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Thanks, Egg. The pattern looked so "flashy" that I didn't think it could be a garter snake.

I've never seen them threaten to bite anything. I guess it felt trapped. But good to know it's not something to worry about.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I had no idea it was a Garter either, when I couldn't find that snake via Fish and Game I looked for images of New England snakes and found it, double checked accuracy with Fish and Game. Looking through that link you'll see the coloration of a young garter and that's it. Honestly as surprised as you. I did know there is virtually no risk of encountering our only harmful snake.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by