What kind of snake?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My dad found this in the raspberry garden today. It looks like a big one! My first thought was copper head, but the head doesn't quite seem the right shape. I can't think of anything else that might look like that. We do have Northern water snakes around here, but they usually have a very vivid black eye stripe and a brighter pattern. What do you guys think? I'm in Northwest New Jersey.

[​IMG]

2. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Not a copperhead.

Hard to tell from the picture but it kind of looks like it has a hognose snake type of nose.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's also quite big. Two feet at least. Those are raspberry bushes in the background. I didn't see the snake myself, unfortunately!

4. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:it is not poisonous, it has a longs lender body, no arrowhead and a long tapered tail all which suggest non poisonous in the us.

I don't know anything about the north eastern snakes but I do know a non poisonous one.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It is a hognose. Non-poisonous and they are great vermin killers! They can startle you, though, because they rattle their tails in leaves and sound like a rattlesnake. Then, they'll put out their neck and act like a cobra. Then, they'll play dead like a possum! When they do that, if you flip them back over on their belly, they'll flip themselves back over on their backs and play dead!

Harmless snakes and a definite benefit to your property!!![​IMG]

Shelly

6. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Hognose! He looks really big in the picture!

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool! I didn't even know we had hog nose snakes around here! I just sent my dad a message and told him it is a good snake to have around! My mom always thinks every snake is venomous but I've actually never seen a copper head or rattle snake on our property. They are always just huge non venomous snakes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    So does my mom! [​IMG] We have a chicken snake in our coop that we can't seem to catch.. She was FREAKED OUT!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by