What kind of temperment do Speckled Sussex's have?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    What kind of temperment do Speckled Sussex's have? I'm bringing some in for some customers this spring, and I'm thinking about keeping one. I was just wondering what they are like.

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I just wrote about ours in another post. We only have one left (a roo); he is sweet, polite, and friendly; never spars with the other roos, and they leave him alone. Gets along well with the hens and was very devoted to his before he lost them.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have 4 SS hens and they are great. They are the most curious and friendly of all the hens in there. Last night, I left the coop door open to see if they would come out in the snow. I had to coax them with treats but the only ones who ventured out were the SS and my lone EE. I hope that helps.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Nelda, the only one I have, is very sweet and gentle, never aggressive to the others. She's a cutie, but a big eater. I would say she's the least aggressive girl I own.

5. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Cool! I just won some SS hatching eggs on eBay, so it's great to know I'll be hatching some gentle, friendly birds! [​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oh, I'm excited now. I was telling DH I was ordering SS's for spring and he asked what's an SS. I showed him a picture and he thought they were very pretty. I'm hoping I can keep one and add it to the flock. [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

They also lay an almost pink egg- at least one of mine does. Some of the breed charts say this too. I think only one or two of mine are doing this though, but they sure are pretty eggs sitting next to the brown ones

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here's my Nelda, Deniece:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Wow, she's beautiful, but I can't trust you Cyn, I think all your birds are unnaturally beautiful, and I just get the plain janes of the chicken world [​IMG]

No, actually my girls are beautiful too, but they are hatchery birds. I think that my problem is that my Red Sexlinks are not nice birds. I like them, but they are picking at my other girls. My SLW's have bald backs and the EEer's have bloody vents. [​IMG]

But yeah, I want one that looks like Nelda, and Suede, and and and. [​IMG]

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Mine are sweet and gentle. Lovely girls who love to be picked up and carried around the yard. They sit on my feet when I sit on the porch. I just love them. Get some they are great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by