what kind of thermometer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chasehope, Apr 30, 2007.

1. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    What kind of thermometer does everyone use? What has worked for you? I seem to be having problems with my temperature and so was wondering what kind of thermometer everyone is using. Thanks

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Thermometer for what? coop..brooder..incubator??

3. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    incubator

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    would like to hear from everyone
    what kind of thermometer are you using with LG still air?
    is the one they give you accurate?

5. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] I'm new...just got an LG for Christmas and had to take it back because the heating coil was broken. I'm setting up the replacement to do a dry run today. What I've read on here is what I went with. I went to PetCo (don't really LIKE that store so much but it's local) and got a set from the reptile section. It was a hygometer and a thermometer. They are disk shaped about 1" and sit on the bottom flat. I calibrated the hygometer like I also read on here..., [​IMG] BYC . I also have a strip digital thermometer and the one that comes with the incubator. The one that comes with it is supposed to sit flat on top of the eggs...so I'm hoping that this set up will give me ...bottom temp...and top temp. I don't have a fan or turner (yet) for my bator but this is what I have devised as my 'set up" method.

Hope it helps and GOOD LUCK!!! [​IMG]

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I am actually using my expensive digital meat thermometer. I have spent countless dollars on thermometers for this unit and this is the only that has been accurate (as much as you can be). I bought accurite ones (temp/humidity) from Home Depot for a second opinion and they match the meat thermometer. Mine that came one that came with the unit runs approx. 2* cooler than these two and others that I've tested. I bought the disk shaped ones from Petco - could never get the temp one to read at all - stayed at 50* no matter where I put it (even outside of the unit). The humidity one seems to be 5-10% higher than my more accurate accurite (again, as much as you can be accurate). I don't know, I'm about ready to scream with trying to find an accurate way to measure with this unit.

7. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    well the one that came with my lg says 101f
    i got a digatal acurite one from walmart $9.00 it say 95f with humdity 61% brand new battery
    i have reg one like they give you laying around house so i used it it says 99f

i have one red plug out
    no fan no turner
    no eggs in yet they are all ready i would like to put in tommarow

what to do ?
    its stable but is it accurate?

8. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] If it's stayed this way for a few hours I'd say you're good...but I'm new too...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by