1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of treats do you feed ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scoob1, Apr 9, 2010.

1. scoob1

scoob1 New Egg

Apr 9, 2010
    Hi, I have 7 new (5 week old) ducks and 1 adult duck. I have read a few posts that describe feeding the ducks treats but my local pet store only offers pellets, crumble or mash. Can you please let me know what kind of treats these are or an alternative? Thanks,Cami

2. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    I give mine vegetables and crickets.

3. nissa_loves_cats

nissa_loves_cats Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine hard-boiled chicken eggs. I also gave my poultry some stale donuts once but I'm sure that's not a good thing to give them more than once.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

click on the Sticky note -- very first post ,,, Nettie has an AWESOME list of treats... lots a greens. peas. !!

5. WadeMD

WadeMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    Grape pieces, peas, apple pieces, earthworms, grubs, clover, grass (mine graze like mad anyway, but they still think its a treat if you toss it in the pond), chopped lettuce thats looking a little brown, cantaloupe (they tear it apart pretty effectively), cheerios... basically anything thats healthy for a human and doesn't contain extra sugar or salt or fat works.

As per above tho... check the link, its pretty good.

6. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I'll take a bag of frozen peas, put in a strainer and run warm water over them for a few minutes until they're soft, the ducks can't eat them fast enough!

Lettuce is big with ours as well!

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    this is the best list out there!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  8. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    mine go crazy over minows ,i buy them and put them in there little pool kids plastic swimming pool

9. WinchesterChickens5115

WinchesterChickens5115 New Egg

Apr 10, 2010
    Knoxville
    I give mine grapes. They eat them up!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by