What kind of turkey am I? How old am I? UPDATED W A TURKEY PIC!??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thefooladifamily, Jun 10, 2010.

1. thefooladifamily

thefooladifamily Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    Bought a baby turkey down at our local farm store here in Alabama. I know nothing about turkeys but know this turkey is sooo sweet. Have had it for about two weeks now and hope to raise it as a pet. Any tips or advice for a first time turkey owner? Again, I know NOTHING so even the most basic advice would be appreciated:) Also, how can I tell if this is a boy or girl? From what I have read on here the turkey needs to be a certain age before I can tell, but I don't even know what to look for...fluffy feathers, a huge gobbler? [​IMG] hmmm...lol..any advice is appreciated:)
    [​IMG]

Amy

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    lol THAT is not a turkey!! [​IMG]

3. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think your turkey is possibly a Barred Rock pullet. :)

Pullet = Young Female Chicken

OK, now here's the good news. It's a great breed, friendly, and a great egg layer.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  4. mbnewby

mbnewby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    i8 half to agree with the other two post second post even nailed the breed down for you

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing Broad Breasted White:
    [​IMG]

What are you feeding it? If it is a BBW, then once it hits three months, or so, diet will need to be restricted/modified. They are the CornishX of the turkey world and keeping them as a pet is, more often than not, problematic at best.
    Post up a shot of the poult without the barred brooder ornament. Hopeful that I am wrong.

6. thefooladifamily

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    ? I had no idea and had been spoiling the crap out of what I thought was a turkey. [​IMG] Unbelievable!![​IMG]

I bought one "turkey" that day and one "chicken". A week later I gave that "chicken" to my neighbor to raise because I didn't think that baby chick seemed right. LOL.

Not good, going to get ahold of her this morning and see if she will give me back my baby Turkey..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kind of funny!

Anyways, here's a photo of the baby turkey before I gave it to my neighbor.... I need to call her this morning and get it back! Can you tell what kind of turkey this is since it's not a baby chicken? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Or is it a baby chicken?? LOL Geesh! [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Was the little guy, in the brooder, `under' the Barred pullet, in the first photo, the same as the one you are holding in your hand, or something else entirely? I'd let the neighbor raise it as it appears to be a Broad Breasted Bronze (white or bronze, they are bred for a quick trip to the table, not a long time run in the backyard - some folks have kept them up for half-a-decade or so - and better luck with hens than toms - but long, healthy, life is exception to the most frequently related experiences, e.g., legs/heart give out).

Here is a page for quick ID: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Turkeys/BRKTurkey.html
    And
    more reading about turks: http://www.albc-usa.org/downloads.html
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/The-Happy-Homesteader/Raising-Turkey-Poults.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92240

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  8. thefooladifamily

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    Thanks so much for your help. The chicken in the background of the first photo is a Buff Orphington. At least that's what they told me at the farm and feed store!!!!! I do think it is?!? [​IMG][​IMG]

I got the baby turkey back from the neighbor this morning. I guess we will raise him and my husband can figure out this whole butchering process then so we can make him dinner. Crazy as I really wanted a turkey as a pet.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium