What Kind of Waterer?

oldpaths1611

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a plastic waterer/heater all in one combo, or a metal waterer with a separate heater. This will be our first winter coming up having chickens. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi there oldpaths,

I have metal waterers and seperate heaters inside the coops, I of course remove the heaters for the summer. I am not sure but the thought of plastic and heat kind of scare me so I don't even want to chance it even if they say it is safe. I value my chickens to much to do something that is unsafe for them. Just you can't add anything to the metal waterer (ex, ACV) because it can corrode the inside of the waterer. ( i learned the hard way)

Good Luck and
welcome-byc.gif

My DH refuses to let me have a heated waterer outside in the garden, because of the water/electricity thing. I have too many coops, and so I will be carrying water out to them that is hot this coming winter.

I don't like plastic waterers either, because they seem more difficult to clean (more inside curves and edges). I have 4 metal ones.

I personally would not trust a heated plastic thing either.

Quote:
I went with a metal waterer, which is a pain in the behind during warm weather (I hung a 5-gal. bucket outside with nipple waterers in the bottom -- that works GREAT). I'll use the metal waterer inside in the winter, along with a cookie tin heater. I was going to buy one at the feed store until I ran across this thread: Index » Feeding & Watering Your Flock » Cookie Tin water heater. Check it out -- cheap and simple and will work well with a metal waterer during the cold months!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom