what kind of worm is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poonam, Jul 11, 2011.

1. poonam

poonam Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    hi folks

My chickens have been having a lot of health issues lately, and to make a long story short, I've been thinking it might be worms.

My vet did a fecal sample twice and said there weren't any worms, even though I can see little segments that look like the tapeworm pictures on this forum. (like rice).

Also, yesterday I saw a LONG segment which almost looked like a full tapeworm. The pieces are flat and look like fetuccini, except they are fairly narrow in width. The long piece of worm I found does not look like it has segments. just like fettuccini, except with the tail end starting to get into smaller segments.

Any ideas what this might be? is it possible to get a negative on the fecal sample and still be seeing all these worms?

Please help. My girls have been really suffering.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here are tapeworms from a chicken...
    [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If they look like the tapes in the photo, you need to worm with valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com or call them if your feed store doesnt carry it. Dosage is given orally, 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Make sure you redose again in 10 days after initial worming. There's a grand total of 24 days withdrawal.

4. poonam

poonam Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Oakland, CA
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yes. That's a typical tapeworm that chickens can get. Valbazen (albendazole) will kill them.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    what kind of worm is that in Wikipedia? Dawg those are gross looking!!! [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Tapeworms.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    We use safeguard for goats for all our birds, you just mix 3cc to 1 gallon of water and change it every day for 3 days.
    It will take care of the tape worms and many others too.

Can't believe the vet said he /she did not find any when they ran the fecal , think i would be giving him a call unless its been over a month sence he/she cheked for you.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Yeah, the vet mustve made a mistake. Safeguard (fenbendazole) will not get rid of tapeworms...otherwise safeguard liquid goat wormer IS a good wormer. I use it as a second wormer in rotation with valbazen (albendazole.)
    http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

10. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    Quote:my worms did not look like tape worm, more like angelhair pasta, so i used the safeguard for goats. in another posting it stated 3cc/gallon - leave for 3 days - then remove. did that but i'm unsure though if i've done it correctly. my hens (28) drank the whole gallon in 1.5 days, so i did not give them more. should i have given them more to cover the 3 days to ensure they had a good dose of the meds? or should i do it again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by