What kind should I get next?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I have A&M and am interested in getting another type of quail. Could be for meat or eggs. I know coturnix are the most prolific layers, so what kind of coturnix should I get? If not, a bob white or other type. Thanks for your input.

2. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    where I am it seems as if everyone has coturnix and A&M quail. Myself I would like to have one of these breeds Gambel, Blue Scale or the Calif. Valley quail with my choice would go as
    1 Calif. Valley quail
    2 Gambel
    3 Blue Scale
    I allready have the Bobwhite and to be outside and hear them making their calls is something else.

3. cxy_57

cxy_57 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Hi,,I am brand new here. Trying to figure out what it is all about. I want the Cali. Blues as well, but we by chance and availability started in January this year with Coturnix. They are super and we just hatched 50 babies from our babies.,,,Chris

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Bobwhites [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You do realize that A&M are coturnix? It's just a different color, there are several. If you want coturnix for eggs, feed them high-protein feed. If you want them for meat, get jumbos.

6. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    i started with coturnix (eggs) hatched an raised those, then bobwhites (eggs) hatched and raised those, then got californias (adult trio) i have a batch in the bator due to hatch in five days, then got a gambel pair (just started laying), and now have blue scales ariving in three days (adults), so far the coturnix were the funniest to watch as chicks the bob whites were the most enjoyable to raise because of the sound of thier call, the californias are the funnest to raise as adults and all the other breeds will have a specific reason they are the best too, so long story short just take a step up every time and you will enjoy all your varieties, but i think if you jump into a quail that is above your skill level you will end up with a lot of problems and it wont be as enjoyable, i would suggest them in this order coturnix, bobwhites, california and gambels, blue scales, and lastly mountains.

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    We're thinking about getting some quail. Do you have any advice for newbies on the best breed and is it OK to house them with chickens?

8. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:COTURNIX ARE THE BEST PLACE TO START... EGGS ARE READILY AVAILABLE YR ROUND, ABOUT THE CHEAPEST IN PRICE AND THE BIRDS THEMSELVES ARE BEST GEARED FOR NEW ENTHUSIASTS (THEY ARE THE MOST FORGIVING SPECES OUT THERE) SO COTURNIX ARE A GREAT PLACE FOR ANY ROOKIE TO START. OTHER SPECES QUICKLY BECOME SPECIALTIES AND USUALLY HAVE A BIT MORE "LEARNING CURVE" TO THEM AND BECOME HARDER TO GET, MORE EXPENSIVE, AND MORE DIFFICULT TO RAISE/KEEP IN SHORT ORDER. THERE'S A STICKY POST HERE THAT HAS A WEALTH OF INFO ABOUT COTURNIX, THEIR KEEPING AND CARE THAT CAN GET YOU ABOUT AS EDUCATED FOR KEEPING THEM AS POSSSIBLE WITHOUT ACTUALLY OWNING SOME. AS WITH ALL GAMEBIRDS... THEY DO NOT MIX WELL WITH OTHER SPECES AND SHOULD NOT BE MIXED WITH DOMESTIC FOWL FOR MANY REASONS-- DISEASE TRANSFER BEING THE BIGGEST.

10. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:COTURNIX ARE THE BEST PLACE TO START... EGGS ARE READILY AVAILABLE YR ROUND, ABOUT THE CHEAPEST IN PRICE AND THE BIRDS THEMSELVES ARE BEST GEARED FOR NEW ENTHUSIASTS (THEY ARE THE MOST FORGIVING SPECES OUT THERE) SO COTURNIX ARE A GREAT PLACE FOR ANY ROOKIE TO START. OTHER SPECES QUICKLY BECOME SPECIALTIES AND USUALLY HAVE A BIT MORE "LEARNING CURVE" TO THEM AND BECOME HARDER TO GET, MORE EXPENSIVE, AND MORE DIFFICULT TO RAISE/KEEP IN SHORT ORDER. THERE'S A STICKY POST HERE THAT HAS A WEALTH OF INFO ABOUT COTURNIX, THEIR KEEPING AND CARE THAT CAN GET YOU ABOUT AS EDUCATED FOR KEEPING THEM AS POSSSIBLE WITHOUT ACTUALLY OWNING SOME. AS WITH ALL GAMEBIRDS... THEY DO NOT MIX WELL WITH OTHER SPECES AND SHOULD NOT BE MIXED WITH DOMESTIC FOWL FOR MANY REASONS-- DISEASE TRANSFER BEING THE BIGGEST.

Fantastic. Thanks so much for the information. I'll go find that sticky now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by