What kinda chicken? Have Beautifull new girls!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by DutchChicky, Feb 7, 2009.

1. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Hi there
    Does anybody know the breed is, if any?
    What better way than BYC to find out what kinda chickens these are.
    My neighbor stopped by last week to ask if I wanted 4 chickens that a friend of hers wanted to get rid off.
    They are beautifull huge girls, sweet as can be. Even my 3year old can pet them. They are bigger than my Barred Rock and my RIR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    well, have another one I can't seem to figure out.
    Was told he was a Columbian?
    Lookes like a Brahma, but is tiny like my Bantem?
    ANYBODY?!?!?

[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

your black ones with gold on the chests are black sexlinks. The Brahma is a Light Brahma bantam. Pretty birds. The poufy headed one is a Polish.

4. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Thanks Speckledhen
    Sexlink ?!? Didn't know that was a breed, thought it was some kinda chicken Lingo [​IMG]
    'Heard' your also the one with the Beautifull Delawares?!? Correct?
    Want some of those, but have to first figure out what killed some of my birds in the last weeks, before I get new ones

5. speckledhen

Yes, I'm building a good quality Delaware flock. I will sell eggs to people interested in preserving the breed.
    Sexlink is a hybrid that can be sexed at hatch by color. Yours is a cross between a RIR rooster and a Barred rock hen. They look very plump!

6. DutchChicky

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    Plump they are!!
    Seem to be very healthy, hope what ever is going arounf my flock doen't cross over to them.
    The little rooster you said was a bantam brahma, aren't they suppose to have bigger combs?
    I bought him and 3 others, just like him (, told that they where females they reminded me so much of the Delawares). The next day they started crowing one by one!! Just have the one left. My Bantam Rooster is not happy with having any competion.
    Really was suprised because the small combs and no wadlles , believed they where hens!
    I just have a mix of all kinds of colors and sizes.
    But would love to start to have some 'real' pur-breds and start breeding. The Delawares been my favorite for a while and Barnevelders caught my eye recently.
    Need to get another coop to be able to seperate though and hopefully later on in the year I can start something up
    You might hear from me then [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Just let me know! Congrats on the pretty new girls.

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, Michella, I LOVE that Polish! That would be, because of the messed up coloring, a mix of White Crested Black X Golden Laced. But I love that combo! You could make up a new color! [​IMG]

The little flock is beautiful. They look very happy. Hope you enjoy!

Haley

9. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice Black Sexlinks

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Sex-links are a Rhode Island Red/Plymouth Rock cross. The females have different marking when they hatch than do the males, hence the name "sex-link" (coloring "linked" to the sex).

Our black sex-link (BSL) is our favorite bird.

They're also called Black Stars. Red sex-links can be called Red Stars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by