what kinda of chicken??????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BMD17553, Dec 4, 2013.

1. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    i have two chickens i'm not to sure about please help the rooster and the blonde hen are the two i want to know about the blonde one is about 1 1/2 years old the rooster the guy i bought him from said he is about 6-7 months old but i'm not sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your blond hen is a buff Orpington.
    Your red rooster is a mixed breed. The comb and narrow body type indicate mixed blood. Probably some hatchery Red stock, mixed with who knows what, but something that didn't have a straight comb.

3. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I agree the blond one is a Buff Orpington... Here's a couple my mine for reference...

[​IMG]

4. BMD17553

Dec 3, 2013
    thank you 1876 farm and how are your hens laying in the summer?

5. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

BMD....,

I've had Buffs prior to my latest batch and they laid nice xLarge eggs and they laid well. My Buffs are the best mothers and I've used them 2 years in a row to hatch eggs. - They are good at hatching and keeping their chicks safe from the other hens.

I purchased 6 Buffs, 6 Black stars and 3 EEs this spring, they are currently 33 weeks old. They were slow to lay and out of 16 hens, I've just started to get 10 a day (ok so it's winter here, but it's the best they've done so far). Their eggs have been large, at best.. normally they are medium size. The EEs are producing the biggest eggs of the bunch. I'm not sure what is going on.. perhaps when spring rolls around their eggs will get larger.

How have your hens done this summer?

6. BMD17553

Dec 3, 2013
    i did decent this summer i only have two laying hens right now but i was getting about 3 eggs a week from each and they were fairly large eggs but about a week ago they just stopped laying and i live down south in Louisiana and its 70 degrees here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by