what kinda treats can i give chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wildriverswolf90, Aug 8, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    [​IMG] I have 3 day old buff orps and I am wondering what kind of treats/food scrapes I can give them? Working on gettin them to trust me, so any advice is very much appreciated!

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

no, not until there 2-3 weeks old, then a mealworm or two a day, a little hard boiled egg, yogurt. Be patient. [​IMG]

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Our chicks are 6 weeks old, and we just started with treats
    at about 4 weeks. Grubs, ants, we did start with vegetable
    scraps last week. The are loving the tomatoes and the mustard greens!

4. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    My babies are about 2 weeks and have had scrambled egg, strawberry's, grass, and even fine cracked corn...yes they will need grit too.

5. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Mine love to eat tomato scraps.

6. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    goes agaisnt what alot say but in this heat at 3 days old I started giving mine watermelon cubes....it was cold and sweet lots of water and naturaly sweet....they love it....I started in the big chicken pens and they let their babies eat it so I put a little in the brooder pens...waited a few days and they were fine....so every day I give them a bit....not alot but some ....it is so hot here anything to get them lots of water....

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

It's been so humid here lately... Mine are 3 1/2 weeks old. When I started giving them grit, I started them on treats. They absolutely LOVE grapes and watermelon [​IMG]

8. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    I gave my babies some carrot tops. I accidentally pulled them weeding the garden and figured what the heck I'll let them try it. They were afraid of it for a while and then after so long they started pecking at it. It was cute! <3

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Mine have been given treats starting at 4 weeks but did not touch anything for 2 more weeks. I tried everything but finally They started picking on a watermelon rind. The trick is to introduce a lot of new things and just watch em.

BAZ..

10. Rileys6chix

Rileys6chix New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    mine like any melon skins the most, apples cut very small and overly ripe plums and grass! When they were babies i went out and got a whole plate of grass and in a matter of minutes all the grass was gone! They also come to a cup full of bird seed and pieces of soft bread!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by