what kinds of geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by muscovy94, Nov 11, 2008.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    hey everybody im just wondering what kinds of geese yall have and what their behaviors are. getting geese next year and i really want some geese that will be tame towards me when they get older. you know like follow me around. any replies will be appreciated!! thanks.

2. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have Sebastopols. In addition to being really pretty they have great personalities. They follow us around and love to talk. They get along with the chickens and ducks but aren't crazy about our cats.

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have a few breeds
    One of my sebs is extremely friendly follows us around chases tires on cars and the wheel barrow . BUT is some one comes in to the pen area that she doesnt know she will bite them ! The others just run from them and are kinda skiddish around us .

Ebdens - they seem to be mellow and calm

Toulouse - are the smame

Dewlap toulouse - is kinda skiddish and hiss at me if i go near them while they are eating (they are fatties)

Canadians are very calm can walk right next to them and they dont mind

Chinese are very vocal and hissed at me for no reason

I think that if you raise goslings around people they will be friendly regardless of breed . My geese that were rasied from babies sem more calm then the ones i got as adults . As adults you never know what there brackground was and how they were treated by people . Just show them love and attention and they will do the same !

4. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Are any certain breeds harder to hatch than others?

5. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    GEESE EGGS ARE EXTREMLY HARD TO HATCH !!!!!! i hatched goose eggs for the first time this summer . Let me tell ya i had no clue wat to do . I was PM'ing Missprissy (a mod on here ALOT for help (she seeems to be an expert on all things poultry!!!!!!)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yeah, I'd suggest getting goslings rather than hatching eggs. Any breed of goose will make a good pet for you, as long as you are rearing them in the brooder as day olds. Ones you let hatch under their parents' feets will always be a bit wild.

I recommend Pilgrims for first timers. Very calm birds, with good personality and very strong family instincts. My 2nd favorite are the Embdens. They are very gregarious, bossy; but do tend to steal things and destroy anything they can get their beaks on.

7. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    thanks for all the info.what kind of bator do you use? i have a little giant and i had like 7 goose eggs that my friend gave me a few years ago and only one hatched!! and then it died about 2 hours later. so i believe you when you say they are hard to hatch!

8. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    i always thought if you bought goslings that they wouldnt imprint on you?

9. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have a sportsman

I have gotten day old canadians and they have imprinted on me

I also got a 2 week old ebden gosling i stole from its parents (the people that had them neglected them and were going to slaughter them after i stole mine the rest of the family was killed by dogs ) And he also imprinted on me ! just spend all the time you can with them

if you hatch them remember to spray them wit warm water once a day

10. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Have you or anybody had any experience with holderreads? because if i do decide to buy already hatched i would like to do it from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by