what kinds of treats can you give a chick (1 week old)?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Darklingstorm, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    what kinds of treats can you give a chick (1 week old)?
    The chicks are chasing down everything but they only have chick feed right now to eat. I was wondering what would be safe out of the refrigerator. Can you give them yogurt yet? What about salad stuff?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yeah, I think you can pretty much give them anything you'd give a chicken. Keep in mind that treats should only be about 10% of their diet. Chop it small, and that chick grit would be a good thing, if they do not have access to sandy/stony ground.

Imp

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since my chicks have always eaten every crumble given, I've never given "treats" a thought.

The layers? Yeah, they get some select leftovers, now and then, but no more than twice a week.

4. jsnnlaynes

jsnnlaynes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    I have Light Sussex chicks that are 4 weeks today, they go crazy over bread. I roll little pieces into balls, hold them in my hand they will take one and run. Its like keep-away.
    ___________Coaching B-ball raisin chicken and coaching Pole Vault___________

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Plain, low fat or no fat yogurt. Chopped hard boiled egg. Small crickets or large ones that have been "chopped" [​IMG] . Tiny mealworms.

Just remember what Imp said; they'll need chick grit for everything but the yogurt and egg. And keep the amount of treats small. They really need the complete nutrition of the chick starter.

6. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Oh i understand the need for proper nutrition, I was thinking of just something to entertain them with mostly. like a leaf of lettuce.

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine scrambled egg... They go nuts over it and jump at it while I am putting it in the brooder. They are so funny with it. I give my 10x babies an egg a day as a treat they love it.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I was talking to a vet the other day & he said most feeds today have all the nutrients that are needed .I think I'm gonna take his advice & cut back on treats. The vet said a few greens would be suffecient. With my older girls which are almost a year old I was over serving treats I have quit the treats & their now eating more laying pellets.I can't wait for the bugs to show up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by