What Laid this Egg? UPDATED w/ new pics of Muscovy/Mallard cross suspect!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buxton Ducks, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    My sebastopols laid their first egg yesterday and my ducks have been laying since last winter. I gather up enough normal looking duck eggs and now there are goose eggs in the mix. Over the past week I have been noticing eggs that look like a duck/goose egg. They are textured like the goose eggs but about middle size compared to the two. They are way to big for egg cartons (even though duck eggs need to be forced in) and much smaller than the sebbie eggs. I have 12 mallard types (pekin, cayuga, swedish, call, mallard, runner) and a pair of sebastopol geese. I also have a big huge mule duck but I think its a boy (he regularly mates with the females). My hens sometimes mount other hens so could this just be a dominance behavior in the muscovy/mallard cross? I haven't seen an egg like this and my mule would be at the right age for starting to lay if it is a girl. What does everybody think?

Duck on top, Mystery egg in the middle, Sebastopol on bottom

[​IMG]

Here is Bueler the muscovy/mallard cross (who I thought was a boy):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND this is "him" guarding the flock.

[​IMG]

These pictures were taken tonight (12/5/2012). I hope you can see the size difference between him and the others. That is a jumbo pekin right next to him. Bueler is huge! What do you all think? Could this be a girl and therefor the one laying my mystery eggs?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Bueler's legs look pretty thin (small) making me think maybe a duck not a drake.

3. Onewiththeducks

Onewiththeducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Alden,NY
    Does Bueler quack or rasp?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would guess you have yourself a duck (girl) there. Nice looking egg!

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    My guess, considering texture and the fact that the sebbie is just starting to lay, is that it's a sebbie pullet egg. My ducks will give me alright sized eggs, but sometimes they give me eggs that look like the size of a mediumish chicken egg. They hatched from HUGE eggs, and nothing has been laid that is that size. However, earlier this year, my leghorn girls were laying extra large eggs, and now when they lay, they will lay a jumbo egg. So, younger females will lay smaller eggs, especially the first few can be quite tiny compared to normal.

6. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I think[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Bueler is a girl! Looks a little thin to be a girl and from the pics I don't see any curly feathers..Does s/he have any curly feathers on her tail?[/FONT]

1 person likes this.
  7. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I agree with Chick1043, Bueler doesn't have a drake curl and at 3 months you would have started to notice it I think....especially if he/she is older now than in that picture. Also if he/she quacks loud like a hunting duck call, it is female. If it sounds like it has laryngitis, it is a drake but I'm thinking hen...and it could be her egg. You will have to change its name to Buela!

8. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Bueler or Buela has no tail curl and he/she does rasp instead of quack. However she/he is a hybrid muscovy/mallard so I wasn't sure about sexing. The other weird thing is Bueler mounts the females. I will get a more recent picture to post tonight. Lets hope the eggs are true, I would love a big broody muscy mix to hatch eggs for me!

9. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I ate one of the mystery eggs and it tasted like the other ducks eggs.

10. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Yeah that's a little odd...voice type sexing probably won't be super reliable considering the type of cross...I know that sometimes females can engage in mating behavior with each other especially if there is no drake. I have 2 female Runners that bob at each other and squat for each other in the pool, but not seen any mating attempts yet...Do muscovy drakes usually get curls too? I am no muscovy expert. Hope you get him/her figured!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by