What Laid This Whopper Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunflour, Jan 19, 2015.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    My molted hens are starting to lay again. Over the past week one has been laying larger eggs than we have had from any of them. I have 3 eggs that max out my egg scale. Today's egg is 95 grams and is too tall to fit in my egg tray.

I have 3 BO and 3 BR -will be 2 yo in March- and think only 2 of the BO's and 1 of the BR are big enough girls to have laid these. The shape is more like the BR eggs from last year but they never laid over large in the past. The BO's used to lay large to XL - but never whoppers like these.

Here's a photo of today's egg. Any guesses - BO or BR - who could be laying these whoppers?

[​IMG]

2. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    WOW! 95 grams, poor hen who ever she was. The largest I have had is 68 grams (Red Sex Link). I don't have any idea, but just had to comment!

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I'll take a guess and say BR, only because my BO's lay very small eggs.

I had a 102 gram egg the other day, but that is not my biggest. The biggest I've ever had (and this was from the same girl) was 118 grams!

I swear, I was looking around for a chicken who was walking like John Wayne!

Congrats on the egg. They're always fun to find but I do worry for my girls when it happens. I bet it's a double-yolker too!

Enjoy!

- Krista

4. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I already posted this pic in another thread, but had to show it again. The large egg on the left was the first egg ever laid by my Black Copper Marans. I didn't have scales, so don't know its weight. The middle egg is the second BCM egg, and the one on the right is from a RIR.

[​IMG]

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    And Krista is right about the double yolker - cracked it today to see. Cooked it in microwave and hope the big girl who laid it gets a bite of it at treat time tomorrow.

But my BR's have always laid med to large eggs and the BO's have always laid large to XL…..but someone is laying XXL…..this I guess would be a XXXXL??[​IMG]

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The egg on the left is very unique, bet that is a double yolk one too?

You should get scales - I love my chicken shaped scale and it is fairly accurate. If you bake with eggs, all recipes are for large eggs and the scales help me fudge for what I need. The vintage/antique ones are pricy…but I have a reproduction called "the incredible egg scale" by Fall Harvest Products. I bought fairly reasonable from one of the on line poultry products stores.

7. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    You are correct. Here's what is looked like in the bowl.

[​IMG]

And here's what it looked like just before it disappeared.

[​IMG]

I'll look for some scales.

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I'm jealous…my chickens get to eat my whopper egg…yours looks so good. I'm not great at frying eggs, gotta practice.

Here's the scale I have…they have it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Harvest-Products-Incredible-Scale/dp/B00NT25J1G

9. toddo

toddo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Robinson Illinois
    I'd say it was the BR also, mine have laid double yoker's a number of times and they are still delicious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by