what lamps for heat during winter months?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kronos416, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kronos416

kronos416 New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    I was curious as to what kind of heating lamps you use to help keep your chickens warm during winter months? Ive only had my birds since april so none of them have seen there first winter yet here in Northern Ohio and i would like to start getting some supplies to get my coop ready for the cold months? My coop is about 7 x 10 i have 2 windows in it. What kind of heating bulbs do you use to help warm them up in cold months? How many watt are the bulbs? any specific bulbs to buy and or stay away from? what about using heated water bowls? any idea how much they run price wise and can i get them at tractor supply or pet store? Do you keep lights on 24/7 or on a timer just for when its dark out and colder at night? what temperature is to cold for chickens? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. ive got chicken fever

ive got chicken fever Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    All questions I have too. I am in SC though so it doesn't get nearly as cold, I think last year the coldest at night was maybe 15*. [​IMG]

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I buy heat lamps from either Walmart or the farm store; your basic metal reflector with a wire cage. For bulbs, if it's just below freezing, I use a 100w bulb to keep the water from freezing. If it's super cold, I use a 250 watt heat bulb. Keeps things nice and toasty.

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I live in upstate NY, winters below freezing OFTEN. No heat. We use a water heater base to keep the water from freezing. If the power goes out for any period of time the birds will not be able to handle the cold if they are accustomed to the extra warmth. We have had no problems, once they get used to the snow they go out and wander even on the coldest days. The only "protection" we give is from drafts. Drafts are the biggest problem. I put painters plastic all around the fenced in run to block wind and snow and the birds will go out every day. Good luck and have fun!

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Most important is draft free ventilation. I don't plan on doing a heat lamp (and I'm north, in MI), but rather making sure the humidity stays down and it's draft free. Their coop is insulated. I'll use a heated dish for water [​IMG] I'm more concerned with fire than warmth I guess. I have a friend that did have a fire in her coop last year [​IMG] She lost all of her birds [​IMG]

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Last winter was our worst in 5 years we have live here. It was chickens first winter. Our coop and winter pictures are on their blog in my sig. We had no frostbite and no heat lamp. Hens layed all winter too. Trick is lots of venalation and deep bedding. My chickens free range and were out almost every day in winter. Our temp at night hit 0 or just below with wind chill. It was a long cold winter here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by