1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What layed this tiny egg? Pics included!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken_angler, Nov 7, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    When my dad went out to see the chickens this morning, he found a tiny egg next to the waterer. Here are a couple pics of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What could of layed this egg? I have 8 hens and get 8 large eggs everyday. Also I have 2 guineas in the same coop as the chickens. Could it be them?

2. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    A friend of mine had Silkies & Guineas. I used to get eggs from her, The guinea eggs were close in size if i remember correctly. It could be one of their first eggs, that would explain why it's so small.

3. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I figured that it was the female guinea's egg. I have a male and a female. I thought that they only lay in the spring?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any number of hens could. I get teensy eggs from time to time, especially under the roost. And from girls who normally lay large eggs. Glitch in the system or first pullet egg maybe.

5. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I dont think it is from the hens. This one is all speckled. All my hens have been laying for 2 months or more. Wouldnt they have layed these in the beginning?

6. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    looks like my guineas egg to me.

7. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    It would be cool if I can eat it. How would you cook it bumblebeehillschickenfarm ? I want to see how it tastes.

8. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

When our guinea hen was here, she gave me a pretty little egg just about every day. The shell was so hard, I'd have to hit it on the side of the skillet three times.

My husband was especially fond of the guinea eggs, said they had a "eggier" flavor. I'd put a pat of butter in the skillet, crack it open, and fry it up with a slice of cheese and a slice of tomato on toast with mayo. Good eats.

He's actually contemplating more guineas in the spring. He misses the insane chatter. [​IMG]

Em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by