what LF breed will eat less will give alot of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunflowerenvy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    I am wondering what large fowl[chicken] will lay large eggs at least 5 times a week beside white leghorns that wont eat me out house n home? it would be nice to know the breed and color of the egg too?
    like ex sample

breed- color egg

white leghorns- white

thanks for any info u can provide [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    My games are pretty good layers, average 5-6 (maybe seven depending ) medium sized (sometimes rather large) white/off white eggs, and I feed them about a whole vienna can of feed per cock and 1/2 a can per hen one time a day. All it takes to keep them in good shape most of the time.

Games though if you got a cock, you can only have one in an enclosure, he must be kept separate from all other cocks at all times. You may could try a Minorca, or other Mediterranean breeds, they're similar to the Leghorns I believe..

-Daniel

PS.. If you do go the game route, get only birds like American's, Old English, Spanish etc.. Don't get the large Oriental fowl like Shamo, Asil, Malay, etc..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We have all LFs the one that seems to lay large eggs for her size is a Golden comet. We also have BRs and BSLs, they are great layers also but seem larger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by