1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What livestock could I keep?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by my silkie is a new mum, Jan 4, 2009.

1. my silkie is a new mum

my silkie is a new mum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    We have just shy of 3 acres.. And we live in the suburbs. Technically we can only keep single hooved animals (from what we remember, we lost the deed) But only an acre is fenced, and horses, I know, can turn it into a mud hole in no time. Well we have 12 chickens and the neighbors actually love them and their eggs!
    (we have a joke that if anyone makes us give away our chickens we will get a donkey, because we ARE aloud to have them)

We were wondering if we could get away with keeping anything else... Our neighbors and their dogs are louder than our chickens, and their are peacocks close by which crow in the middle of the night. We probably would move if we had the $$$ but land is expensive in Texas... [​IMG]

So what do you think?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Meat rabbits and bees come to mind. Thats's where I'm headed next on my little lot.

Wayne

3. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Check for your local Clerk of Court's website. They probably have your recorded deed and any subdivision restrictions online. If not, just go to the courthouse and ask for some help looking all of that up.

Sarah

4. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Check into Mini Donkeys! I totally LOVE mine. They have an over abundance of personality and they are checap to feed.

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

LLamas, Alpacas, Camels are all very quiet.

Mini Cattle.

Mini Horses.

Lots of different birds.

Are just a few that come to mind.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:All of those have split hooves...

7. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Alpacas really don't have hooves, they have two toenails and padded feet. With an acre, you could maybe keep 2-5 alpacas (depending on the acre). A few fiber males would be easy to keep, give you nice fiber every year to process in to yarn that you could use.

Bil

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Bil....I want that cute little fuzzy face in your avatar!!! [​IMG] I wish I could afford Alpacas...I just love them. But alas...I dont see a lottery win any time soon. [​IMG]

9. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Quote:Endeavour is one of my favorites! He is a cutie.

Check some of the alpaca farms in your area on www.alpacanation.com.

You might be able to find a couple of fiber males (gelded males), that will be cheap and fun to have. You don't have to be a breeder to enjoy alpacas. I did a quick search of gelded males in Indiana and found a couple for $100. These would be great pets!!

For more information go to www.Alpaca-Pet.com and learn how alpacas can be great pets!!

Bil

10. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] If I could a mini horse it would be a Shetland or a Fabella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by